Re: Pet Peeves? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: Pet Peeves?
Date
Re: Pet Peeves?  (Jason Long <jason@octgsoftware.com>)
List pgsql-general
    Gregory Stark wrote:

> Is it the hierarchical query ability you're looking for or pivot?
> The former we are actually getting in 8.4.
>
> AFAIK even in systems with pivot you still have to
> declare a fixed list of columns in advance anyways.
> Do you see a system where it works differently?

MS-Access SQL has a TRANSFORM clause that allows for crosstab queries
without the need to know in advance the number of columns:

As for Oracle, it wasn't possible until recently but now 11g has the
PIVOT clause:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/oracle-database-11g-top-f
eatures/11g-pivot.html

In contrast of these clauses, PG's contrib/tablefunc looks more limited
and quite harder to use.

 Best regards,
--
 Daniel
 PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: