Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/10/beta/10beta1.md;h=f0d2e6ad2637281194ce212f9b7553eff1301c58;hb=HEAD

> Please comment with improvements/suggestions/corrections, or submit them
> to the git repo if you have access.

I think the part about "an unusually high number of
backwards-incompatible changes" is unnecessarily scary.  The number of
incompatible changes in the release notes is only slightly higher than
in previous releases (10: 19, 9.6: 13, 9.5: 12, 9.4: 22), and half of
those are removing ancient junk that no one was using.

I get that we want people to test and adjust their applications as early
as possible, but how about something like this instead: "Version 10
contains a few changes that are incompatible with prior major releases.
We encourage all users test it against their applications and platforms
as soon as possible."