bad plan - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julien Cigar
Subject bad plan
Date
Re: bad plan
List pgsql-performance
Hello,

I have an extremely bad plan for one of my colleague's query. Basically
PostgreSQL chooses to seq scan instead of index scan. This is on:

antabif=# select version();
                                                  version

  PostgreSQL 9.0.7 on amd64-portbld-freebsd8.2, compiled by GCC cc (GCC)
4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD], 64-bit

The machines has 4GB of RAM with the following config:
- shared_buffers: 512MB
- effective_cache_size: 2GB
- work_mem: 32MB
- maintenance_work_mem: 128MB
- default_statistics_target: 300
- temp_buffers: 64MB
- wal_buffers: 8MB
- checkpoint_segments = 15

The tables have been ANALYZE'd. I've put the EXPLAIN ANALYZE on:

- http://www.pastie.org/3731956 : with default config
- http://www.pastie.org/3731960 : this is with enable_seq_scan = off
- http://www.pastie.org/3731962 : I tried to play on the various cost
settings but it's doesn't change anything, except setting
random_page_cost to 1 (which will lead to bad plans for other queries,
so not a solution)
- http://www.pastie.org/3732035 : with enable_hashagg and
enable_hashjoin to false

I'm currently out of idea why PostgreSQL still chooses a bad plan for
this query ... any hint ?

Thank you,
Julien

Attachment