Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 03/17/2012 03:07 PM, Atri Sharma wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
> Thanks for going through my description.
>

> I was going through the posts,when I realised that if we give each client the flexibility of defining his/her own
orderwith complete control,that would be probably the right way(IMHO).

> I mean,if the user sees,not the physical implementation,but a customizable interface instead,which is mapped to the
physicalimplementation,then,we can solve to some extent,the problem of logical/physical decoupling.

I think your design is a complete non-starter. Please review what was
previously discussed. If you're not going to attempt that then my strong
advice is to try a different project.

> If you are free,I can come on IRC right now and explain my idea to you.

The place to discuss designs is on the mailing lists. That's the way we
do things. The vast majority of hackers are not to be found in IRC.

cheers

andrew