Re: Discovering the most searched values for a field - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Discovering the most searched values for a field
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 1/13/12 10:08 AM, alexandre - aldeia digital wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a simple way (or a tool) to discover the most searched values
> in a field from a table ?
>
> In the pg_stats, I can see the most common values generated by ANALYZE,
> but I want to know how many queries are using this values. With this
> information and the other statistics, I want to create partial indexes
> or use table partitioning to create some benchmarks to speed up the
> database access.

No simple + fast way.

The way to do this is:

1) log all queries
2) load query log into a database
3) filter to queries which only run against that table
4) analyze queries for values against that column.

For (4), we've had the best luck with generating explain plans in XML
and then digesting the XML to look for filter conditions.  Finding
column matches by regex was a lot less successful.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.