Re: Backing up through a database connection (not pg_dump) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eduardo Morras
Subject Re: Backing up through a database connection (not pg_dump)
Date
List pgsql-general
At 01:05 27/03/2012, Tim Uckun wrote:
>Is there a way to backup a database or a cluster though a database
>connection?  I mean I want to write some code that connects to the
>database remotely and then issues a backup command like it would issue
>any other SQL command. I realize the backups would need to reside on
>the database server.

You can use a stored procedure with this pl
http://plsh.projects.postgresql.org/ , like this:

CREATE FUNCTION dump_db(text, text) RETURNS text AS '
#!/bin/sh
pg_dump $1 > $2
' LANGUAGE plsh;

Note that you must CREATE LANGUAGE first, $1 is db_name, $2 is file
name and check for write permissions of $2. Be careful and check your
security because any shell script will run as postgres user. Don't
know if it works with 9.x+ versions of postgres.

HTH