Re: parse - bind take more time than execute - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: parse - bind take more time than execute
Date
List pgsql-performance
MirrorX  wrote:

> default_statistics_target is set to (default) 100 and there no
> special statistics per-column

> in absolute units i can see the same query having similar stats to
> these:
> parse -> 600 ms
> bind -> 300 ms
> execute -> 50 ms

How did you determine those timings?

> the query mentioned above is a simple select from one table using
> using two where conditions. and this table has 1 additional index
> (except the primary key) on the columns that are part of the where
> clause

Are you saying that a simple query against a single table with only
two indexes is taking 600 ms to plan and 300 ms to bind?  I have
never seen anything remotely like that.  Could you post the psql \d
output for the table and the actual query?

It would also be good to include a description of the hardware and
the output of running the query on this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Server_Configuration

-Kevin