Re: PostGIS in a commercial project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edoardo Panfili
Subject Re: PostGIS in a commercial project
Date
List pgsql-general
Il 24/10/11 10:03, Pavel Stehule ha scritto:
> 2011/10/24 Thomas Kellerer<spam_eater@gmx.net>:
>> Eduardo Morras, 21.10.2011 20:53:

>>> If it's pure GPL, then postgresql is automagically relicenced to GPL,
>>> because postgresql allows relicencing and GPL force it to be GPL.
>>> Your source code must be in GPL too. Remember, it's a virus licence
>>> and has the same problem that Midas king had.
>>
>> Thanks for the answer.
>>
>> I think we'll better be safe than sorry and we will not use PostGIS then.
>
> It doesn't mean, so you must to publish your source code on net.  Your
> codes have to be available to your customers. That is all. You can
> distribute your product as service, and then you don't need to show
> your codes.

I am developing a web system that uses postgres and postgis, my source
code is released under Apache2 licence (The customers has a copy of the
whole source reposotory). The server interacts using jdbc and a C
function for postgres. The client (java) interacts only with my server
application.

I think that this is safe, I'm doing wrong?
My software ​​has to use the GPL? if I can I'd like to use Apache2
licence for my source code.

Regards
Edoardo