Re: Suggestions for Intel 710 SSD test - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Suggestions for Intel 710 SSD test
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/1/2011 10:00 PM, Gregory Gerard wrote:
> How does this same benchmark compare on similar (or same) hardware but
> with magnetic media?

I don't have that data at present :(

So far I've been comparing performance with our current production
machines, which are older.
Those machines use 'raptors with no BBU/WBC, so their tps performance is
very low (100 per second or so).
Since our application tends to be limited by the transaction commit
rate, the SSD-based machine
is clearly going to be at least an order of magnitude faster. But I
don't know its relative performance
vs. the traditional BBU/WBC controller + string of drives approach (we
rejected that as an option already
for power consumption and space reasons).

I could install a raptor drive in the new server and test that, but it
wouldn't have a BBU/WBC controller.
I guess I could enable the drive's write cache which might produce
comparable results to a controller's WBC.