Re: Materialized views in Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Materialized views in Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/22/2011 06:02 AM, Mike Christensen wrote:
> Hmm I think a materialized view you have to update yourself is called a
> "table"..  but after dealing with the nightmare that is Oracle 11g, I
> think it'd be much more fun going that route with triggers and
> everything.  Yes this thread is a complete vent, and also a plea to the
> pg guys to do materialized views right!

In terms of defining "right," it'd be rather handy to know what's wrong
with the implementation you're currently struggling with. The Oracle
guys won't have set out to do it wrong; whatever's wrong with it won't
be obvious until you try to use it a different way to how they
envisioned it or will be an issue that only comes up in real-world use.

It's entirely possible any future Pg support could fall into the same
issue ... unless opportunities like this are used to learn from the
experience of those who went before.

Exactly what do you find frustrating with the mat views you're using?

What's wrong with them? What's right with them? How are you trying to
use them? What problem are you attempting to solve with them? How do you
*want* and *expect* them to work?

--
Craig Ringer