From Michael A. Peters
Subject CentOS 6 - www.pgrpms.org - SELinux
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm setting up a new server for a CMS I have written (er, partially,
needs work) that uses PostgreSQL as a backend.

All my existing CentOS 5 servers, I use pgrpms for PostgreSQL.

I would like to do the same with CentOS 6 but I also want to keep
SELinux enabled on this box.

Do the RPM's in pgrpms work with SELinux out of the box, or will I need
to do additional work after the install and each update?

Secondly, why does the pgrpms repository repackage libevent 1.4.13 as
compat-libevent14? Binary compatibility with upstream is VERY important
to me, it seems to me that if PostgreSQL needs a newer libevent, the
newer libevent should have the compat package name so that the vendors
libevent can continue to be maintained by the upstream vendor.

I'm probably going to have exclude libevent from the PostgreSQL yum repo
file, download the src.rpm for libevent 2, and repackage it myself with
a proper compat name so that it does not conflict with upstreams
packaging. This means more work for me not only because I have to modify
a spec file, but it means I have to pay closer attention for patches
since I will be maintaining it myself.

Please in the future (assuming the rpm packagers are reading this)
consider leaving vendor libraries alone and using compat for versions of
libraries you require that are different than upstream distro packaging.

Obviously for PostgreSQL itself you shouldn't need to do that, but for
3rd party libraries your build links against, if at all possible you should.

Thank you./*
*/