From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: CentOS 6 - www.pgrpms.org - SELinuxi dn
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 20:18 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I'm setting up a new server for a CMS I have written (er, partially,
> needs work) that uses PostgreSQL as a backend.
>
> All my existing CentOS 5 servers, I use pgrpms for PostgreSQL.
>
> I would like to do the same with CentOS 6 but I also want to keep
> SELinux enabled on this box.
>
> Do the RPM's in pgrpms work with SELinux out of the box, or will I need
> to do additional work after the install and each update?

They should work.

> Secondly, why does the pgrpms repository repackage libevent 1.4.13 as
> compat-libevent14? Binary compatibility with upstream is VERY important
> to me, it seems to me that if PostgreSQL needs a newer libevent, the
> newer libevent should have the compat package name so that the vendors
> libevent can continue to be maintained by the upstream vendor.

It is the pgbouncer 1.4.X that needs new libevent, so if you want to
install pgbouncer, you will need libevent 2.X package. In order not to
break dependencies with the OS, I pushed compat-libevent14 package, that
replaces libevent-1.4.13 supplied with the OS.

> I'm probably going to have exclude libevent from the PostgreSQL yum repo
> file, download the src.rpm for libevent 2, and repackage it myself with
> a proper compat name so that it does not conflict with upstreams
> packaging. This means more work for me not only because I have to modify
> a spec file, but it means I have to pay closer attention for patches
> since I will be maintaining it myself.

As I wrote above, it is all about pgbouncer. You do not need to
repackage anything. Excluding is fin

> Please in the future (assuming the rpm packagers are reading this)

Yeah, reading :)

> consider leaving vendor libraries alone and using compat for versions of
> libraries you require that are different than upstream distro packaging.

Err, compat-* naming is used for *older* releases, not *newer* releases.
I could push a package called libevent2, which would never ever conflict
with the libevent package on the OS, but... I actually did not bother
it, since almost all 3rd party repos do such things.
,
...and I'd package libevent 2.0.X for RHEL 6, if I was in charge of it.

-HTH.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ