Re: walprotocol.h vs frontends - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Singer
Subject Re: walprotocol.h vs frontends
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11-08-15 10:00 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> Without commenting on what should be done in your specific case, I
> wonder whether it's time to fully retire the deprecated double
> representation of timestamps. Is anyone actually expected to rely on
> their availability when 9.2 is released? This also caused difficulties
> for Johann Oskarsson recently, during work on PL/Java.

This would mean that anyone using the floating point timestamps today
won't be able to use pg_upgrade to upgrade to whichever version we
remove them from.  8.3 had float based timestamps as the default and I
suspect many installations with the default 8.3 settings have been
upgraded via pg_upgrade to 9.0 built the old timestamps representation.

Steve