Re: FREE hosting platforms with PostgreSQL, Java SDK, Tomcat, ecc.? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: FREE hosting platforms with PostgreSQL, Java SDK, Tomcat, ecc.?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/06/11 4:40 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> The bottom line is I would not expect to find any individual or company willing or able to offer such a service, to
thegeneral public, for free.  And it is a service you are requesting as opposed to a product like PostgreSQL.  A
productis more likely to be improved by the people using it compared to a service, and those improvements are likely to
makeit back into the original.

indeed, especially a service like hosting that has significant ongoing
hard costs involved...  a colocated server requires power, air
conditioning, network traffic and transit fees, management, physical
security, and the cost of the hardware itself, which has typically a 3-5
year lifespan (in 3 years, newer hardware can do so much more work its
often not cost effective to keep the old hardware online).