Re: postgres unable to start - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: postgres unable to start
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28/07/2011 7:51 PM, tommaso wrote:
Hi All,

one of our users killed a postgres process with kill -9 "PID"
after that the DB server is not longer able to start.

There is a lot of information missing from this question, though you did include the log entries (thanks). Please see this for the rest of the info you need:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

Why did the user "kill -9" the DB, anyway? Was it perhaps not responding for an extended period, and maybe in the "D" state in PS? Are there / were there any messages in "dmesg" or in the kernel log files? Perhaps related to I/O errors or file system errors? Was there a recent fsck on the file system, a recent reboot of the server, or recent power loss/interruption?

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers 276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park Ph: 08 9381 3088 Fax: 08 9388 2258 ABN: 50 008 917 717 http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/