Re: Long Running Update - My Solution - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Harry Mantheakis
Subject Re: Long Running Update - My Solution
Date
Re: Long Running Update - My Solution
Re: Long Running Update - My Solution
List pgsql-performance
I am glad to report that the 'salami-slice' approach worked nicely - all
done in about 2.5 hours.

Instead of using an all-in-one-go statement, we executed 800 statements,
each updating 100,000 records. On average it tool about 10-seconds for
each statement to return.

This is "thinking out of the box" solution, which others might not be
able to emulate.

The mystery remains, for me: why updating 100,000 records could complete
in as quickly as 5 seconds, whereas an attempt to update a million
records was still running after 25 minutes before we killed it?

One thing remains crystal clear: I love Postgresql :-)

Kind regards

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK