Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please ! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 09/06/2011 18:45, Greg Smith a écrit :
> damien clochard wrote:
>> My intention is provide advocacy material to local user groups in the
>> form of a classy and eye-catching magazine.
>
> And you succeeded at that, no question.  And the idea of having a
> magazine to give out, instead of the usual boring stuff, is an
> interesting one.
>
> There's a disconnect between where you're at and where I'm at here now
> though, one that this whole discussion highlights.  I'd rather see
> something that's possible to produce in quantity, around the world, as a
> more important priority than optimizing for "classy and eye-catching" at
> the expense of other practical constraints.  I think the PostgreSQL
> community might be better served by something less ambitious,
> graphically, that was easier to print on a global scale.  I really
> appreciate the work you put into targeting print magazine levels of
> polish for the design of #00.  I just don't think that's a sustainable
> nor necessary quality level for a PUG/booth magazine to target in the
> future.  It's hard enough to get useful magazine-style content produced
> on any regular schedule.  If it's got to be graphically intense and it
> ends up being challenging to distribute, too, you may have made the
> requirements too hard to accomplish.

You put the debate in a nutshell ! Indeed, there is a strategic choice :
being Flashy vs. being Universal ;-)

For the demo issue, i wanted to go as far as i could with my little
knowledge of Scribus... This was a kind of Proof of Concept. Now we know
what we can get. The question is "do we need such a graphical complexity ?".

This is a great debate. A long one ! There's lot of parameters to
consider : the difference of paper format of course but also more
generic arguments. For example i guess it also depends on the economic
model we will build. If we can have sponsors that are ok to pay for an
high-end magazine, why limiting ourselves ?

Anyway who can do more, can do less :-) In the end, if we decide that
the priority is to make an easily printable magazine, that won't be a
problem...

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org