Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date
Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-www
On 05/29/2011 02:00 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 19:36, Jeff Davis<pgsql@j-davis.com>  wrote:
>
>> GitHub doesn't offer mailing lists at all. Not all projects need a
>> mailing list, but I've found it to be helpful for the temporal project.
>>
> GitHub beats sourceforge on pretty much everything except for this one
> thing, imho. But if that's considered critical enough, I agree it's
> not a good choice.

Agreed on all that.  I think the decision tree for where to host a
projects might look like this:

-Are a critical project to the PostgreSQL infrastructure:
git.postgresql.org + PostgreSQL hosted mailing list
-Don't care about mailing lists or web space:  github
-Need a basic mailing list, but don't care about integration with the
repo:  github + Google Groups
-Need a mailing list with repo integration:  sourceforge

To help provide a resource here, I just wrote up a little guide to
PostgreSQL related project hosting on the wiki:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Project_Hosting

That includes a little blurb about the uncertainty around PgFoundry.  If
shutdown plans proceed, that might be worth expanding on with more
hosting details, or notes  on doing a migration.  I started to draw a
little chart showing which features are supported on each hosting
platform, but suspect that I could probably find such a table elsewhere
given a bit more time.