Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 05/12/2011 01:25 PM, Nasby, Jim wrote:
> We did a read-through of the 9.1 beta release notes in the AustinPUG meeting last night, and it struck me that a
numberof those items were actually sponsored by Enova. I thought I'd asked about this before, but I'm not finding it in
thearchives. What do people think about mentioning sponsors along with patch contributors, something like "(Tom Lane,
sponsoredby Red Hat)" where now it just says "(Tom Lane)"? (Not saying Tom/RH are looking for this, he's just a
convenientexample).

> I think there's a couple benefits to mentioning sponsorship:
>
> - It provides added legitimacy to the project *in the eyes of businesses* when they see development being funded by
otherbusinesses
> - It raises awareness that businesses *can* fund development of features/fixes
> - It recognizes those who have contributed to development
>
> I can think of a few cons as well...
>
> - Corporate sponsorship could worry some people about the project being controlled by companies
>      I don't think this would be much of an issue unless prolific contributors (ie: Tom) started crediting their
employers.I suspect that most major contributors don't really care about this since nothing's been said before now, but
maybeI'm wrong.

> - It does add some clutter to the release notes, though I don't think it would really be that bad
>
> What do others think?
>
> Disclosure: I work for Enova, and we would benefit from our sponsorship appearing in the release notes.
> --
> Jim "Decibel!" Nasby jnasby@EnovaFinancial.com
> Primary: 512-579-9024     Backup: 512-569-9461

I think it might be difficult to implement effectively. I am not against
the idea but, do we say:

Alvaro Herrera, Command Prompt, paid for by Enova Financial

?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579