Re: Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/5/2011 2:36 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> I'm a bit concerned with usage-dependent failures.  Presumably, two SDDs
> in a RAID-1 configuration are weared down in the same way, and it would
> be rather inconvenient if they failed at the same point.  With hard
> disks, this doesn't seem to happen; even bad batches fail pretty much
> randomly.

fwiw this _can_ happen with traditional drives : we had a bunch of WD
300G velociraptor
drives that had a firmware bug related to a 32-bit counter roll-over.
This happened at
exactly the same time for all drives in a machine (because the counter
counted since
power-up time). Needless to say this was quite frustrating !