Re: Proposed patch: Smooth replication during VACUUM FULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: Proposed patch: Smooth replication during VACUUM FULL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Il 02/05/11 18:20, Simon Riggs ha scritto:
> I'm sure Gabriele can add those things as well - that also looks like
> another 1 line change.

Yes, today we have performed some tests with that patch as well
(attached is version 2). The version 2 of the patch (which includes the
change Tom suggested on Saturday), smooths the process even more.

You can look at the attached graph for now - even though we are
currently relaunching a test with all 3 different versions from scratch
(unpatched, patch v1 and patch v2), with larger data in order to confirm
this behaviour.

> I'm just observing that the patch as-is appears effective and I feel
> it is important.

Exactly. One thing also important to note as well is that with the
vacuum delay being honoured, "vacuum full" operations in a SyncRep
scenario take less time as well - as the load is more distributed over time.

You can easily spot in the graphs the point where VACUUM FULL
terminates, then it is just a matter of flushing the WAL delay for
replication.

Anyway, I hope I can give you more detailed information tomorrow. Thanks.

Cheers,
Gabriele

--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia