Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 02/04/2011 16:06, Sven Haag a écrit :

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 14:17:37 +0200
>> Von: Jens Wilke <jens@wilke.org>
>> An: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>> Betreff: Re: [GENERAL] Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table
>
>> On Samstag, 2. April 2011, Henry C. wrote:
>>
>>> I just noticed something odd:  I'm busy with a manual vacuum on a
>>> table and an autovacuum keeps firing up as well.
>>
>> Usually a manual vacuum cancels a running autovacuum task.
>> You should find a notice about the cancelation in th logfile.
>>
>>> current_query | vacuum analyze
>>> age           | 11:46:57.245568
>>
>> Where is the age column from?
>> It's not in pg_stat_activity.
>> Is one of the two processes waiting=t in pg_stat_activity?
>> Shure it's the same Table? Do you have one Table named
>> page_citation_text in public and one in anoter sheme?
>>
>>> I'm trying to vacuum the table as quickly as possible so a manual
>>> vacuum seems to be in order as my understanding (and experience)
>>> is that the autovac is a hell of a lot slower to mitigate impact
>>> on general performance.
>>
>> Tune the autovacuum settings, especially the scale factors of the
>> tables in question and the cost limit.
>> Is autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit != -1 ?
>> This could be one reason, why manual vacuum is faster.
>>
>> Nevertheless since at least 8.4 IMO there's no need to bother with
>> manual vacuum any more.
>>
>> Regards, Jens
>
> a bit off-topic, but:
> i'm using pg 9 and always getting messages to vacuum tables in pgadmin. according to your post this souldn't be the
case?

pgAdmin's hint doesn't take care of your PostgreSQL release. Its way to
guess that a table needs to be vacuumed is a bit outdated (that's
clearly an understatement :) ).

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr