Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 17/03/2011 01:25, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Damien,
>
>> In particular, I think Planet PostgreSQL and the wiki are great sources
>> for content. I bet that most authors will be ok to give their articles
>> for free, as long as :
>
> Oh, that's a very good idea.
>
>>   * The magazine makes no profit from it
>
> Actually, I think people would be OK with the magazine raising money for
> pg.EU or other NGOs.

yes the definition of "non-profit" / "non-commercial" is always tricky...
My understanding is that you can raise money for a PGEU, SPI or PGUS and
still being "non-commercial", in the sense that ( behond that fact that
the magazine is sold ) the primary goal is not increasing indivual or
collective wealth

Maybe choosing a Creative Commons BY-SA-NC licence would make things
clear. However then some people might argue that it's not a free (as in
speech) licence

>>   * The URL to the original article is provided
>>   * A short bio of the author is displayed
>>   * The author's employer is quoted
>>   * The author can review the magazine before it's published
>
> Speaking from experience, the last point is a really bad idea.  You'll
> never get the magazine out the door.

understood

>> Hum, actually i'd be much more comfortable with very few money involved
>> in this. If you pay some writers, than you need to pay them all. With
>
> Yeah, I can see your idea now.  I think it's a good one and far more
> likely to succeed.

Thanks :)

>> Also a lot images i use are free as long as the magazine stays
>> non-commercial. If we include advertisings inside the magazine, then we
>> can't use this pictures anymore and we'll have pay for a photo bank
>> accout such as istockphoto.com with probably an unlimited reproduction
>> license option that will cost a lot.
>
> What if the magazine raises funds for an NGO?

Once again my understanding is that you can raise money for an NGO and
still claim to be "non-commercial".

>> Of course, there's also the printing cost. I see to simple ways  to deal
>> with that :
>
> Printing costs are pretty minor.  I'd think that SPI and pg.EU could
> cover them.
>
>>> a) would take writing time away from general publications which reach
>>> new users
>>
>> Well this depends on how you negociate with those general publications.
>> In France, Guillaume writes articles for GNU/Linux mag and 6 months
>> after publication, the articles are released under CC-BY-NC-SA licence,
>> which means they can be reused in a free-as-beer media.
>
> If you're reprinting Planet articles etc., this is not an issue.
>
>>> d) currently no volunteer as editor
>>
>> Actually i am. Or maybe i don't understand what you mean by "editor" :)
>
> Ah, I thought you weren't volunteering.  We'll still need vols for
> language editors though.  I'm not convinced that we won't end up paying
> for editorial (and design, and layout) somehow, but we can give it a
> shot for at least one issue.

Yes, i'm not completly opposed to that. It's just that **for now** i
don't see the need for a professionnal editor. But if the magazine gets
as popular as i hope, that's a possibility.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org