Re: School teacher in need of HELP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: School teacher in need of HELP
Date
List pgsql-general

hbailey17@nyc.rr.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have no IT experience and no funding to hire a technical person or
> resources to take a training course. Also my friends who have
> programming background have not been reliable. I am willing to spend
> the necessary months in trying to learn how to use an SQL program. I
> just installed PostgresSQL 9.0. While trying to read through the
> documentation I proceeded to chpt. 1.3 Creating a Database, which
> commands I followed. Chpt. 1.4 Accessing a Datebase commands are
> confusing. I tried to enter the commands on the SQL Shell(psql) from
> which line 1 reads Server [localhost], line 2 –Database[postgres]: and
> I entered postgres, line 3 – Port[____], which number I entered), line
> 4 - Username[postgres], where I entered postgres, line 5 Password for
> the postres: ....... which returned the message FATAL : password
> authentication failed for user “postgres”..... Press any key to continue.
> Can you help me understand how to start accessing the server database
> capabilities and/or mention on online support blog.
> Thanking you in advance,
> Hilary

I wonder if there is a postgres user group in your neighbourhood? You
might get over a lot more of these introductory hurdles face to face.
Don't get me wrong, the folks on this list will extend tons of
assistance but if I read you situation correctly it could get a little
frustrating. But then you're a teacher so I bet patience is probably in
good supply.

Hang in there.