Re: Per-session memory footprint (9.0/windows) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Erven
Subject Re: Per-session memory footprint (9.0/windows)
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott,

>     It seems that each of the server postmaster.exe processes takes up
>     approx. 5 MB of server memory (the "virtual memory size" column in task
>     manager), and I guess this truly is the private memory these processes
>     require. This number is roughly the same for 8.4 and 9.0 .
>
> Task manager is mis-leading as multiple processes are sharing memory.
> You need process explorer

That's exactly why I did not use the "default" columns of the Task
Manager, but "virtual memory size". I now compared the numbers to the
"private memory" column of Process Explorer, and Process Explorer shows
about 800k even more usage the the Task Manager.

It is still about 5 MB of private memory per "idle" backend process. Is
there anything I can do to optimize?

Thanks again,

    -hannes