Re: "Invalid byte sequence" message - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: "Invalid byte sequence" message
Date
List pgadmin-support
Le 23/02/2011 23:57, Vik Reykja a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 23:37, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>wrote:
>
>>  >>

>>> I disagree.  Any system that offers to write my messages in French should
>> do
>>> so correctly, *especially* if it's the default.

>> Yeah. There are three main issues with translated messages:
>>
>>  * Try searching anything on Google with french messages. You'll be
>>   lucky if you find something, and you'll get billions of results in
>>   english.
>>

> Chicken and egg.  The more we discourage localized messages, the less
> information there will be about them.  Why even bother translating?

For new users who want to try without having to deal with english message.

>>  * Try asking something in the mailing lists with french messages. The
>>   first answer will be: get us the english messages.
>>

> Even on the French mailing list?  Again, I see this as a problem to be
> solved, not avoided.

No. But you don't have many hackers on the french mailing lists :)

>>  * Try using any log parser (like pgfouine) with french messages. It
>>   won't work (even with this tool, written by a french guy).
>>

> So you've succeeded in making an argument for improving that tool :-)

Actually, no. The english messages don't change between minor releases.
French messages do, and a lot. There won't be any easy way to add such a
feature to pgFouine.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com