Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mladen Gogala wrote:
> I am even inclined to believe that deep down under the hood, this
> fatwa has an ulterior motive, which disgusts me deeply. With hints,
> there would be far fewer consulting gigs.

Now you're just being rude.  Given that you have direct access to the
developers of the software, for free, on these mailing lists, the main
reason there is consulting work anyway is because some companies can't
publish their queries or data publicly.  All of us doing PostgreSQL
consulting regularly take those confidental reports and turn them into
feedback to improve the core software.  That is what our clients want,
too:  a better PostgreSQL capable of handling their problem, not just a
hacked up application that works today, but will break later once data
volume or distribution changes.

You really just don't get how open-source development works at all if
you think money is involved in why people have their respective
technical opinions on controversial subjects.  Try and hire the
sometimes leader of this particular "fatwa", Tom Lane, for a consulting
gig if you think that's where his motivation lies.  I would love to have
a recording of *that* phone call.