Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream
Date
Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream  (Frank Heikens <frankheikens@mac.com>)
Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Віталій Тимчишин wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> All this optimizer vs hint thread
There is no "optimizer vs. hint". Hints are a necessary part of the
optimizer in all other databases. Without hints Postgres will not get
used in the company that I work for, period. I was willing to wait but
the fatwa against hints seems unyielding, so that's it. I am even
inclined to believe that deep down under the hood, this fatwa has an
ulterior motive, which disgusts me deeply. With hints, there would be
far fewer consulting gigs.

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway