Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mladen Gogala wrote:
> The techies at big companies are the guys who will or will not make it
> happen. And these guys are not beginners.  Appeasing them may actually
> go a long way.

The PostgreSQL community isn't real big on appeasing people if it's at
the expense of robustness or correctness, and this issue falls into that
category.  There are downsides to that, but good things too.  Chasing
after whatever made people happy regardless of its impact on the server
code itself has in my mind contributed to why Oracle is so bloated and
MySQL so buggy, to pick two examples from my favorite horse to whip.
Trying to graft an alternate UI for the stuff that needs to be tweaked
here to do better, one flexible enough to actually handle the complexity
of the job, is going to add some code with a new class of bugs and
continous maintenance headaches.  Being picky about rejecting such
things is part of the reason why the PostgreSQL code has developed a
good reputation.