Re: SSI patch version 14 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: SSI patch version 14
Date
Re: SSI patch version 14  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 26.01.2011 13:36, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I looked at the patch to begin a review and immediately saw "dtest".
> There's no docs to explain what it is, but a few comments fill me in a
> little more. Can we document that please? And/or explain why its an
> essential part of this commit? Could we keep it out of core, or if not,
> just commit that part separately? I notice the code is currently
> copyright someone else than PGDG.

We still haven't really resolved this..

Looking at the dtest suite, I'd really like to have those tests in the
PostgreSQL repository. However, I'd really like not to require python to
run them, and even less dtester (no offense Markus) and the dependencies
it has. I couldn't get it to run on my basic Debian system, clearly I'm
doing something wrong, but it will be even harder for people on more
exotic platforms.

The tests don't seem very complicated, and they don't seem to depend
much on the dtester features. How hard would it be to rewrite the test
engine in C or perl?

I'm thinking of defining each test in a simple text file, and write a
small test engine to parse that.