Re: Mirroring PostgreSQL related content - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Mirroring PostgreSQL related content
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
From: Michael Dean [mailto:mdean@sourceview.com]
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > After seeing reports of some very interesting sounding articles that
> > were hosted elsewhere are now 404...
> >
> > Do we make any efforts to mirror the content of PostgreSQL related
> > stories or articles? Presumably this would require
> contacting authors
> > for permission, but perhaps we can find some enthusiastic
> newbies to do
> > that...
> >
> As a marketing type guy who has eschewed his graduate statistical &
> demographic training, I would be glad to work on anything
> that smacks at
> improving the overall image of postgresql in the world.  A
> compendium of
> articles documenting "everything" would be one decent suggestion,
> especially since many of them are written under the creative
> commons.  A
> second suggestion is compiling a list of user applications
> that not only
> work with postgresql, but is their apparent favorite.  For instance,
> bitweaver.org, where installation is trivial, as opposed to
> drupal.org,
> where postgresql appears to work, but installation is not only
> non-trivial but fraught with political issues.  Let me know the
> appropriate mechanism for starting this.  Michael

Well, the first appropriate mechanism would be to include the list in your replies. ;)

I suspect gathering available data would be a good start. I don't know that we'd want to prominently publish stuff in a
rawformat, but at least then we'd know what we're working with. I think it'd be very cool to have a site that documents
OSSthat supports PostgreSQL.

Anyone else have other ideas/suggestions?

You might want to take a look at the directory we started at Pervasive
(http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/postgresql/pgd/,any additions most welcome!). Also, if you (or anyone else) is
interestedin writing articles, whitepapers, etc, etc, we'll both provide assistance and money for your effort:
http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/postgresql/partners_in_publishing.asp