Re: Do we want SYNONYMS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Do we want SYNONYMS?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/07/2010 10:45 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 08:31 -0500, Vick Khera wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake<jd@commandprompt.com>  wrote:
>>> Command Prompt is currently considering writing a patch to provide
>>> synonyms to PostgreSQL. Is this something the community is interested
>>> in? Do we have use cases for it? MSSQL, DB2 and Oracle support them.
>>>

>> I must be missing something, but really, what's the point of synonyms?
>>   What's the real-world use case for them?
>
> For a PostgreSQL Person? I see no real benefit to be honest. For people
> coming from Oracle, DB2 or MSSQL? I see a real benefit in terms of ease
> of porting.
>
> I asked on the Oracle free list[1] and Synonyms are used and used a lot
> in Oracle. Anything we can do to help those folks run screaming from
> err.... port to PostgreSQL seems like a good idea. (Assuming we can do
> it reasonably)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

If I am following this thread correctly the biggest issue to date is
getting an apple to apple comparison. The confusion seems to be that
what is proposed for SYNONYMS in Pg is not actually a synonym for
SYNONYMS in Oracle.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com