Re: Schema tool - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Schema tool
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 11/11/2010 18:58, Rob Sargent a écrit :

> On 11/11/2010 09:50 AM, Aram Fingal wrote:
>> A while back, I thought I remembered seeing a Mac OS X client for PostgreSQL which had a feature where it would
displaya graphic schema of whatever database you connect to but I can't seem to find it again (web searching.)    I did
comeacross one post which said that this was a planned feature for pgAdmin.  I need to do a formal schema of a database
whichI have in development and it would be nice to have an automated tool, whether it connects to the database or uses
SQLtable definition code to generate graphics.  Is there such a thing?  if not, what do you all use?  OpenOffice Draw?
OmniGraffle?

>> -Aram
>
> DbVisualizer has a free and a commercial release and can do a decent job
> of diagramming a schema.  Nothing compared to Embarcadaro, put not as
> pricey either.

I actually use DBVisualizer when I need to get a graphical view of an
existing database.

BTW, this is a planned feature of pgAdmin. We have an interesting patch
from a GSoC student (Luis Ochoa), but it still needs (a lot of) work. I
still hope to include it for the next release.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr