Re: How does PG know if data is in memory? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Kevin Grittner wrote:

> ...Sybase named caches...segment off portions of the memory for
> specific caches... bind specific database
> objects (tables and indexes) to specific caches. ...
>
> When I posted to the list about it, the response was that LRU
> eviction was superior to any tuning any human would do.  I didn't
> and don't believe that....
>
> FWIW, the four main reasons for using it were:
> (1) Heavily used data could be kept fully cached in RAM...

Lightly-used-but-important data seems like another use case.

LRU's probably far better than me at optimizing for the total
throughput and/or average response time.  But if there's a
requirement:
 "Even though this query's very rare, it should respond
  ASAP, even at the expense of the throughput of the rest
  of the system."
it sounds like this kind of hand-tuning might be useful.