Re: BUG #9756: Inconsistent database after OS restart - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Samokhin, Dmitry [MNPP Saturn]
Subject Re: BUG #9756: Inconsistent database after OS restart
Date
List pgsql-bugs

about
what happens when Windows itself is shutting down.
> But from the log, it is clear that PostgreSQL did get the notification =
it
was supposed to exit (however it received that
> notification), but that it was not allowed to complete the process.  =
Maybe
Windows was told to reboot with a "force" flag
> that causes it to not wait, or maybe Windows decided that PostgreSQL =
was
not communicating with the SCM properly and
> therefore deserved no mercy. =20

Some more useful info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms685149%28v=3Dvs=
.85%2
9.aspx

This article says that there is a registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTime=
out

which controls the time limit for services cleanup when the operating =
system
is rebooting (see also
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc976045.aspx). Its default =
value
is 20000 (20 s), while Postgres usually needs 1-3 seconds to completely
stop.

Maybe there are certain cases when the autovacuum subprocess is somehow =
shut
down by the Postgres control module after the whole cluster is done and =
this
behaviour affects the DB integrity.

Dmitry.