Re: PGDG - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PGDG
Date
Re: PGDG  (Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch>)
Re: PGDG  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Markus,

> I'm thus proposing additional FAQ entries along these lines:

Thanks for doing this.

> Q: Who's the Postgres Global Development Group?
> A: A loosely coupled group of individuals and companies who contributed
> to the Postgres project. It's not a legal entity of any kind.

Hmmmm.  Slight change:

Q: Who is the PostgreSQL Global Development Group?
A: The "PGDG" is an international, unincorporated association of
individuals and companies who have contributed to the PostgreSQL
project.  The PostgreSQL Core Team generally act as spokespeople for the
PGDG.

> Q: Do contributors need to sign a copyright assignment?
> A: No, contributors keeps their copyright (as is the case for most
> European countries anyway). They simply consider themselves to be part of
> the Postgres Global Development Group. (It's not even possible to assign
> copyright to PGDG, as it's not a legal entity).

Add: This is the same way that the Linux Kernel Project works.

> Q: May I add my own copyright notice where appropriate?
> A: No, please don't. We like to keep the legal information short and
> crisp. Additionally, we've heard that could possibly pose problems for
> corporate users.
>
> Q: Doesn't the BSD license itself require to keep the copyright notice
> intact?
... the PostgreSQL License ...

> A: Yes, it does. And it is, because the Postgres Global Development

PostgreSQL

> Group covers all copyright holders. Also note that US law doesn't
> requires any copyright notice for getting the copyright granted, just
> like most European laws.
>
> Comments? What else did I forget? Anything wrong with the above answers?

Add:

Q: What about the various PostgreSQL foundations?
A: While the PostgreSQL project utilizes non-profit corporations in the
USA, Europe, Brazil and Japan for fundraising and project coordination,
these entities do not own the PostgreSQL code.

Thanks!

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.