Re: First stab at 9.0 release announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: First stab at 9.0 release announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> The relevant question isn't what is the number, but is mentioning
> a number as all helpful or distracting?

I think it would be distracting if it isn't given immediate context.
It might be possible for a skillful wordsmith to spin a positive
from the years of development since PostgreSQL 6.0 emerged, with a
major features release about once per year since then, from hundreds
of contributors.

And if you're thinking about numbers, don't forget the active
community of users and developers which provides support which (at
least in my experience) is far superior to that of any commercial
vendor.  If you could get a count of distinct people who have
responded to posts on these lists (no small feat, I'm sure), it
would give some sense of the scale of the community and the
resources at the disposal of those who need help.

-Kevin