Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading  (Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@goebel-consult.de>)
List pgsql-bugs
On 10/06/10 16:21, Robert Haas wrote:
> I do agree that the human readability of pg_dump is an asset in many
> situations - I have often dumped out the DDL for particular objects
> just to look at it, for example.  However, I emphatically do NOT agree
> that leaving someone with a 500MB dump file (or, for some people on
> this list, a whole heck of a lot larger than that) that has to be
> manually edited to reload is a useful behavior.  It's a huge pain in
> the neck.

Much easier to do a schema-only dump, edit that, and dump data separately.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas