Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Am 07.06.2010 02:32, schrieb Robert Haas:
>
>> But we will likely add more
>> keywords at some point in the future, and while providing an output
>> format that quotes everything won't fix every potential problem, it
>> might make life easier for some people.
>
> +10
>
> Exactly my point: Make life easier for others. Admins have a hard job
> anyway.

I for myself would be rather annoyed if we started quoting all column
names in our dumps. This is seriously hampering readability and while it
is already annoying that pg_dump output is slightly different from the
original DDL used this would make it far worse.
I'm also not convinced that this is a good idea at all, using keywords
like that is always an issue and forward portability of dumps in general
is imho a pipe dream

> BTW: mysql does a far better job here.

not sure I agree here but well...

Stefan