Re: postgreSQL not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yeb Havinga
Subject Re: postgreSQL not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4
Date
List pgsql-general
AllieH wrote:
> Yesterday I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4. Unfortunately this has caused
> me serious problems with everything related to postgreSQL. It seems as
> though the new version of ubuntu is requiring me to use PostgreSQL 8.4
> instead of 8.3 which I was previously using. I tried installing 8.4 but I
> can't seem to get the database to start. Has anyone had a similar problems?

Maybe this could have been prevented by 'holding' (in aptitude press '='
on the packages to hold at current level) the postgresql package at the
current level.

Btw: it is possible to mix packages from multiple versions - you might
be able to install the 8.3 again by adding "jaunty" back to
/etc/apt/sources.list (not replace lucid but just add jaunty), run
"apt-get update", then find the package "postgresql" in the aptitude
tool, and press 'v': you then get all the versions available. Select the
8.3 version, press '+' and 'g'. I just verified this on a test fresh
10.4 installation and after 'g' I get no conflicts at all, however, 9.10
(karmic) does not have postgres 8.4, but 9.04 (jaunty) does.

regards,
Yeb Havinga