Re: postgreSQL not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Clark
Subject Re: postgreSQL not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/07/2010 01:22 PM, Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Friday 07 May 2010, AllieH<allison.hoch@ll.mit.edu>  wrote:
>> Yesterday I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4. Unfortunately this has
>>   caused me serious problems with everything related to postgreSQL. It
>>   seems as though the new version of ubuntu is requiring me to use
>>   PostgreSQL 8.4 instead of 8.3 which I was previously using. I tried
>>   installing 8.4 but I can't seem to get the database to start. Has anyone
>>   had a similar problems?
>>

> Major OS version upgrades don't transparently do database upgrades. You have
> to take care of things like that yourself.
Yes but the install procedure should be smart enough to look and see if you are using a previous
version of Postgres and prompt you if you want to continue installing the
new database.

--
Stephen Clark
NetWolves