Re: database Benchmark, TPC, PostgreSQL and TPC-E - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: database Benchmark, TPC, PostgreSQL and TPC-E
Date
List pgsql-general
williamkidd@libero.it wrote:
> are there somewhere some results of TPC-* benchmarks for PostgreSQL?
> Are there reliable database tests? There are open source implementation?
> There are other benchmarks that would be worth to consider to use, or
> implement?

There's a bunch of information on this topic at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Benchmarking  ; the entries for
DBT-{2,3,5} are open source implementations of some of those.  And the
links at the top there point to info about the sole audited PostgreSQL
benchmark I'm aware of, which is a SPEC result rather than a TPC one.

> Looking on the TPC-E 1.10.0 specification history I saw that Enterprise DB has
> quitted the membership list (14 march 2008)
>  What does it mean for PostgreSQL?

Official TPC results require spending a lot of money, from buying
servers to having the results audited, and there's very little value
received for that expense from the perspective of the PostgreSQL
community.  The fact that the software is free doesn't quite fit into
the whole performance/$ focus of what real TPC results deliver.  TPC-H
is the most interesting of them to me (and that's where there's a
detailed page linking to resources related to it) because it suggests
types of queries the database could handle better than it does right now.