Re: Native DB replication for PG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Native DB replication for PG
Date
Re: Native DB replication for PG  (Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>)
Re: Native DB replication for PG  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> I tested 8.4 what I thought was fairly hardly last year only
> to have 8.4.1 die under the same load that 8.3 handled without a
> problem, and reverted to the known working version putting testing
> 8.4.1 on hold.
>
> So to ME, the choice is a fully functional 8.3 installation that has
> NO problems with free space map because of configuration choices, or
> an 8.4 with a known (to me) issue of crashing and dying.

FYI, since December of 2009 (release of 8.4.2) there have been 10 bugs
fixed with the word "crash" in their description, as well as 7 memory
leaks that could potentially lead to crash.  Even six months ago I was
still hesitant to push 8.4 toward production systems; the number of bugs
shaken out in the last two releases has been substantial.