Re: Performance Tuning Large PL/PGSQL Stored Procedure - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Performance Tuning Large PL/PGSQL Stored Procedure
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 26/03/10 03:56, Eliot Gable wrote:

> I really am chasing milliseconds here, and I appreciate all your feedback.
> You've given me a relatively large number of possible optimizations I can
> try out. I will definitely try out the libpqtypes. That sounds like a
> promising way to further cut down on execution time. I think most of my
> performance penalty is in transfering the results back to the C++
> application.

In addition to all of Merlin's good advice, if the client is on a
different machine to the server then try sticking wireshark or similar
onto the connection. That should make it pretty clear where the main
costs are in getting your data back.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd