Re: Updating Ubuntu package info - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Updating Ubuntu package info
Date
List pgadmin-support
Le 04/02/2010 04:23, Greg Smith a écrit :
> Problem #1:  If you visit http://www.pgadmin.org/download/ , you'll
> discover there's no link to any Ubuntu support listed there.

It was removed a few months ago, because no one could handle them anymore.

> Problem #2:  If you manage to find
> http://www.pgadmin.org/download/ubuntu.php anyway, it's only got current
> information up to Ubuntu Gusty, which is pretty old now.  That part I
> can write a document to include there if someone wants to update the text:
>
> =====
>
> For Ubuntu versions Dapper, Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, Koala, and Lynx,
> Ubuntu packages are maintained by Gerfried Fuchs.  The versions
> available for each release are listed on the package's page at
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pgadmin3
>
> In order to install one of these packages, do the following:
>
> 1) Launch System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager
> 2) Select Settings/Repositories
> 3) On the "Ubuntu Software" tab, make sure "Community-maintained Open
> Source software (universe) is checked
> 4) Close that section and follow the directions to reload the available
> packages
> 5) Now if you do a "Quick search" for pgadmin, you'll see the 3 packages
> there.  Choose to install the main pgadmin3 package and the other two
> (that it depends on) will also be installed.
>
> =====

I can do that tonight, unless Dave works on it before.

> Problem #3:  Given the general popularity of Ubuntu and what I'm seeing
> in the version history here, I think it would also be appropriate to
> warn that versions of pgAdmin3 before the upcoming 1.12 do not support
> connecting to PostgreSQL 9.0 databases (the '"column "datconfig" does
> not exist' issue) on this page too.

We can do that. That's not something we usually do, this kind of issue
happens for every release of PostgreSQL and pgAdmin. You need the latest
major pgAdmin release to work with the latest major PostgreSQL release.
Moreover, since 1.10, they even have a message box telling the user than
PostgreSQL releases after 8.4 could be incompatible with their pgAdmin
release. 1.12 will have the same for post-9.0 releases.

> Even Ubuntu Lynx coming in March seems likely to release with pgAdmin3 1.10.

And I hope so. Next release is still in alpha stage, it would be quite
stupid for them to publish a release not yet available (I do know they
do it sometime, but, AFAICT, they use beta release... we are not even in
beta). If PostgreSQL 9.0 beta is released in two months, they won't have
a pgAdmin 1.12 beta.

> I think somebody (and I'm
> getting that feeling it's going to be me) should figure out how to build
> a backport of the pgadmin HEAD that goes at least a couple of versions
> back to help out with this.  I personally really need a PG9.0 compatible
> Jaunty build for example.

I can tell you that this "someone" is not me. I don't have the time to
work on this.

If you want to work on this, I think the main issue you'll encounter is
to get a current wxWidgets release. You need at least 2.8.8 on Linux
IIRC. 2.8.11 (released last week IIRC) would be great but not required.

> Am I correct that nobody besides Gerfried is building these Ubuntu
> packages right now, to provide a head start on things from where I'm
> sitting at?

You're definitely right.

> I think I can fork his Launchpad project and then hack up a
> backport of any required patches; just a matter of finding enough time
> to do it, given that this is new territory for me--I only build RPMs
> myself most days.

I would definititely love to see this happening. Just remember that
you'll probably need to also have a backport of wxWidgets on older
Ubuntu releases.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com