Re: rename primary key - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: rename primary key
Date
List pgsql-sql
Le 15/01/2010 17:13, Seb a écrit :
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:35:17 +0100,
> Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Primary keys are constraints. They are enforced with an index, but
>> actually they are constraints. So we put them on the constraints
>> nodes.
>
>> There is the same behaviour for unique constraints.
>
> Thanks.  Would there be any problem with listing the index used to
> enforce the primary key constraint in the Indexes node to let us know of
> its existence?  In fact, psql does report it with the meta-command \d.
> It was somewhat confusing to see Indexes(0), and then having to rename
> an index to rename a primary key constraint.

Sorry, forgot to answer this mail.

It was asked a few times before, and AFAICT the answer is still the
same. It is a constraint before being an index. The fact that it is also
an index is an implementation detail. I understand this is confusing.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com