Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
>> However, there are not many people who think like the EC about
>> PostgreSQL. Unfortunately, in Italy, the major IT online magazine has
>> only pointed out that Florian Muller thinks that PostgreSQL can't be a
>> valid alternative.

Well, Florian has a point in that there currently isn't a worldwide
tier-1 support company backing PostgreSQL.  So regardless of technical
merit, it's not the same kind of competitive force which MySQL was, *yet*.

It's also a bit of bizarre reasoning that having one successful open
source SQL database is enough for the market.

*however*, it was my opinion that Sun had already effectively destroyed
the MySQL commercial business, and that regardless of who bought Sun,
MySQL as a centralized commercial entity would be finished.  For that
matter, before the Sun acquisition, MySQL **as a commercial product**
was a smaller database business than Filemaker, and I don't imagine the
EC would hold anti-trust hearings over acquiring that.

--Josh Berkus