Re: Typed tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Typed tables
Date
Re: Typed tables  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On tis, 2010-01-12 at 08:05 -0500, Andrew Chernow wrote:
>
>> In practice, tables can be used for passing data around or storing it on disk.
>> So, I guess my question remains unanswered as to what the composite type offers
>> that a table doesn't; other than a name that better suits the task.
>>

> The arguments of functions are types, not tables.  So you need types if
> you want to use functions.

What is the point of this discussion? We're not going to remove the
facility for composite types, regardless of whether or not some people
regard them as unnecessary. And "a name that better suits the task" is
not to be sneered at anyway.

cheers

andrew