Re: Setting oom_adj on linux? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:9837222c1001040757r3a3edc85hc192f52a1f8e0fba@mail.gmail.com"
type="cite"><prewrap="">On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 16:45, Alvaro Herrera <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:alvherre@commandprompt.com"><alvherre@commandprompt.com></a>wrote: </pre><blockquote
platform-specificthing, but should we

consider setting the value of /proc/<pid>/oom_adj when running on
href="http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20080201223336.GC24780%40alvh.no-ip.org">http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20080201223336.GC24780%40alvh.no-ip.org</a>

href="http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-02/msg00049.php">http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-02/msg00049.php</a>
Tompoints out that while you could make this adjustment in the init scripts for PostgreSQL, actually doing so is quite
questionableas a packaging decision.  That's where that thread ended as far as I was concerned.  The best I think
anyonecould do here is to add such a capability into some of the init scripts, but it would probably need to be
disabledby default.  Since that sort of defeats the purpose of the change, I'm not sure what the benefit there is--if
youhave to turn it on, you might as well do something at a higher level instead.<br /><br /><pre class="moz-signature"
cols="72">--

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:greg@2ndQuadrant.com">greg@2ndQuadrant.com</a>  <a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.com">www.2ndQuadrant.com</a>

</pre>