Re: [ANNOUNCE] Free VPS Hosting w/ PostreSQL - Limited # Available - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Free VPS Hosting w/ PostreSQL - Limited # Available
Date
List pgsql-www
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> I though tit was the same one as for news on the website, which
>> specifically has:
>
>> " Other types of announcements, including minor releases, pricing
>> changes, leadership changes, 3rd-party news coverage, partnerships,
>> and mergers & acquisitions will be rejected. "
>
> 'k, mind falls under none of the above ... but, what exactly is '3rd
> party news coverage'?  And although I can see avoiding minor release
> announcments on the web page, I can't see why we'd restrict that on
> -announce except if its, like, a 'new release per week' kind of thing ...

fwiw - the full policy document is on:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval

Also the description for the mailinglist says "Announcement list
pertaining to PostgreSQL and various third party software."

I don't think posting hosting offers like that are a good use (or even
appropriate) of the list, if we start distributing only very
tangentially to the core project related stuff like that on our lists
and the website we will soon end up in a situation where everyone wants
to use us as a marketing instrument just by mentioning PostgreSQL
somewhere in the announcement.

Stefan